2011年1月27日星期四

What will I do with my spare time when I finish them?

What will I do with my spare time when I finish them? We turn to games in those moments in life when we need a little engagement, a little escape from the world. And then we have to say goodbye??Writer Ryan Taljonick thinks of all the games he hasn't finished: “Looking back, I don't think it had to do with loss of interest,” he says. “I think it had more to replica DKNY NY3661 Ladie's watches do with me not wanting to kill off those virtual people I had grown to care so deeply about. Once the game's over, they all disappear.”?”While beating an RPG had always resulted in a huge sense of accomplishment, it was often coupled with a feeling of loss and disappointment.

“?We can spend all the time we want in imaginary worlds, triumphing over invisible accomplishments, but eventually it does have to end, and maybe we can't help but resent the game for that. When the end approaches, we realize it's just a game we've been playing, and that it's going to be over soon, and that the ending will not be replica DKNY NY3668 Ladie's watches emotionally valuable enough to give us closure, to give us a good reason to let go. ?When I don't beat a game – when I burn out on the endless end-gaming that I can't seem to see through and I put it aside – it stays forever incomplete.

That disc or cartridge is sitting in my collection with a little bit left on it to enjoy. I'll probably never go back to it, but maybe it's enough to know that I can. And when I do, I can return to the gameworld exactly how I left it; a world still oppressed by replica DKNY NY3788 Ladie's watches evil, that still has a place and a use for me and my character, that still needs me to save it. A story that never ends, because I've never let it.?Leigh Alexander is news director for Gamasutra, author of the Sexy Videogameland blog, and freelances reviews and criticism to a variety of outlets. Her monthly column at Kotaku deals with cultural issues surrounding games and gamers.